Hey,
First thing – thank you ever so much for the comments! Now, I was going to write a post about the world record that I and about 40 other women and girls hold. But, that can wait. A couple of things yesterday happed that made me think. So instead, this post is about mental health. We all have ‘mental health’ but I think that even in today more excepting society it is something that is under talked about. So what got me thinking yesterday?
First thing – thank you ever so much for the comments! Now, I was going to write a post about the world record that I and about 40 other women and girls hold. But, that can wait. A couple of things yesterday happed that made me think. So instead, this post is about mental health. We all have ‘mental health’ but I think that even in today more excepting society it is something that is under talked about. So what got me thinking yesterday?
I was at my boyfriend’s house, sat in the living room. My boyfriend, Luke had gone to grab a shower so it was me and his elder brother, John. John flicked the TV onto Supersive vs Superskinny. It’s a programme where the diets of a unhealthily large person is swapped with that of an unhealthily skinny person. It also talks about ways to lose weight and anorexia; it’s a bit full of mixed messages! Plus the Dr that presents it is quite attractive! I’ve watched all of them, more than once! It was strange watching this with John. He is obese and a depressive. He talked at me about weight, manic depression, the stigma of mental illness and that he was going to have a big week as he is starting both slimming world and group CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy).
Then there’s me, with a BMI of 23 and lingering Eating Disorder behaviours. I tried to be polite and positive about the stuff he was saying but it was hard to keep track of what my mouth was doing when my mind was struggling between wanting to say things and wanting to keep my ‘issues’ secret. It’s been playing on my mind ever since. I even dreamt about it! I feel I want to message him on facebook and say, in a friendly, relaxed way, I think it’s brilliant that he could be so open about things but I don’t know if I should.
Later on, as I was on my way home, I bumped into one of Luke’s friends. I asked him what he was doing with his life atm and he said not much, living off ‘mental health benefits’. There are so many people out there with mental health issues. I know several student nurses on anti-depressants, several student nurses with ED’s, I know more people how have self-harmed than I have fingers and toes, my boyfriend has generalised anxiety disorder, I think my mother was sectioned before I was born and my friend Lesley, well, she doesn’t quite fit into our world, but that’s no bad thing.
Metal health, like physical health, is something that everyone has, so why should it be that it is seldom spoken of? Mental illness or issues are not something to be ashamed of or hide away or, as my father said about my bulimia, 'things you've just got to get over on your own'. The huge stigma that still surrounds such things is saddening. The world would be a better place if everyone was more open with each other. I think one of the things that hold me back about being open about my ED is that vomit is just gross, ah well... xx
Later on, as I was on my way home, I bumped into one of Luke’s friends. I asked him what he was doing with his life atm and he said not much, living off ‘mental health benefits’. There are so many people out there with mental health issues. I know several student nurses on anti-depressants, several student nurses with ED’s, I know more people how have self-harmed than I have fingers and toes, my boyfriend has generalised anxiety disorder, I think my mother was sectioned before I was born and my friend Lesley, well, she doesn’t quite fit into our world, but that’s no bad thing.
Metal health, like physical health, is something that everyone has, so why should it be that it is seldom spoken of? Mental illness or issues are not something to be ashamed of or hide away or, as my father said about my bulimia, 'things you've just got to get over on your own'. The huge stigma that still surrounds such things is saddening. The world would be a better place if everyone was more open with each other. I think one of the things that hold me back about being open about my ED is that vomit is just gross, ah well... xx
No comments:
Post a Comment